Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Chasing Dreams Nonprofit Reflection (Alyssa)

After I chose my non-profit, I had to sit down and do a lot of research because I was unsure what exactly the organization did.  Once I found Chasing Dreams’ website, I was in awe of everything they were doing.  Chasing Dreams opened its doors five years ago in the basement of the creator's house.  Denise Babjak started the organization because her daughter was born with Down Syndrome and Denise realized that there was not a lot of information out there for parents who have children with special needs.  When she opened Chasing Dreams, her main goal was to provide information and a support group for the parents and a learning center for the children.

Meeting with Denise Babjak really opened my eyes to the fact that there really is not a lot of information or affordable programs for families who have children with special needs.  The building they are using now has a computer room, a kitchen, an art room, a tutoring room, a playroom, and a “safe” room where children go if they need to take a break from whatever it is they are doing.

Currently, 478 children are being helped by Chasing Dreams, which survives only on private grants and donations.  When it first started, for two and a half years, it was funded by only Denise and her husband.  Seeing the passion she had for what she did was incredible.  When we were talking about funding and keeping Chasing Dreams running she said that she would do whatever it took to keep the organization running because of how much they are able to help so many people, at no cost to them, which is really helpful because a lot of organizations are too expensive for some families.

After we were done talking about all of the formal information for Chasing Dreams, she mentioned that they have a summer program every year to give special needs children the same experiences other children have. I was so moved by her passion for the organization and the families involved that I couldn’t help but to volunteer to help at the summer program.  The experience I had meeting Denise Babjak and seeing the facility is one I am unlikely to ever forget and hopefully I will be able to volunteer more in the future to make sure this amazing organization stays open.

No comments:

Post a Comment